Friday, October 20, 2006

One day in Bombay


Yesterday, Deepvali Eve- The Mother and I decided to make way to Little Bombay in Brickfields. Every year just before Deepavali, the quaint little town of Brickfields springs to life. Rows and rows of makeshift stalls line the streets as the town comes alive with throngs of people making last minute purchases before their big celebration. It really does get you into the festive mood.

We went there for shopping. It might not be the most comfortable place to shop, and don't expect mirrors or fitting rooms. It was incredibly humid and expect to be pushed, shoved and having your foot trodded on. Oh yes, did I mention the jam & parking is hell? But if you can look beyond all that, it's amazing what you can find there =)

Sarees Galore! Ooh I just love how the colours jump right at you....

If you are like me, and you are into ethnicity then that's the place for you to be. There were endless amounts of punjabi suits, and all the other Indian costumes that I can't for the life of me name! Most of them were really pretty...and some were just plain garish and frightenning. Less is more people, less is more! OH, I also found the most entertaining top. Bright orange, with some wierd criss cross at the collar, with your favourite Tamil Drama star on it. Sure winner with the girls!


They had some very interesting earrings too, it was like fresh air from the usual 3 for 10 earrings. Gosh, those are sooo passe...Now, these I like.


Nothing is Indian without bangles....I've never seen soooo many bangles at a go! I nearly got a headache just looking at them. Shelves were stacked tall with bangles, every possible corner of the shop had bangles! It's insane, really. But I love bangles. The more the merrier.


I was sooo beat by the end of the day, it's no walk in the park haggling prices with a native Indian who doesn't speak a word of english. However, it was an educational trip- there's something about the Indian culture that fascinates me. I love the sound of bangles clinging, the gorgeous ethnic motives on Indian silk and the smell of freshly fried Vadai....Delightful! Happy Deepavali to you who celebrates it! Now, I shall better get running lest I be late for my Deepavali party tonight. Can't wait to show off the new duds that I bought!

.....Hello, my name is Vimala Tan

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger cow said...

lol hello vimala tan! damn funny la you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home