Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tan's Greens

There’s something you should know.
I don’t have a green thumb.
I am completely hopeless when it comes to plants.
The most I’ve ever grown is Tau-Geh from a Vitagen bottle.

And that also, was short lived. The Tau-Geh never made it…

My Mother developed a green thumb a few years back when she decided to be a stay-at-home-Mom. While we went to school and Pa went to work, she’d occupy her time by tending to the little plot of land next our home. She frequented nurseries and invested in different kinds of seedlings, fertilizers and garden stuff

And then-my Father got infected. He developed this Papaya Tree craze! He hunted high and low for the perfect Papaya species. He’s very proud of his ‘short-but-fruitful-tree’. Soon, their hard work paid off as we began to enjoy the first fruits of their labour. I remember how excited Pa was when we tasted our first home grown papaya. He couldn’t stop raving about it’s sweetness and texture. It was an itsy bitsy miserable fruit and didn’t taste that fantastic, but the fact that it was home grown made all the difference in the world. When the trees started to bear more fruits, my parents became more paranoid because ‘thieves’ would simply help themselves to the fruits. Ma & Pa kept a watchful eye on the tree and monitored the growth of the fruits. It was their prized possession!

Papaya trees are childs play.

Ma graduated to flowers and vegetables of every kind. Nurturing and watering them everyday. I don’t really know if she talks to her plants-I certainly hope not!! Splashes of yellow, purple, red, green sprouted from every corner of my home. At first, I wasn’t accustomed to it. Like I said, I’m not so much of a plant person. But now, I quite like them. Sometimes you’d get a butterfly or two perched on a flower, it’s really quite a pretty sight.

I feel like Tarzan who lived in a jungle

Peppers & some of the flowers...


Pa was crazy about his fiery cili padi tree that eventually withered and died. And then he wanted to move on to tomatoes, but I don’t think that worked either. Haha. But he does spend a lot of time on those yellow and orange flowers-uh,I dunno know what you call them. But we’ve got a massive bush of it growing outside. So if your mother wants any, please, help yourself.


It’s nice to see my parents obsessing over the garden. When you grow older, it’s very important to keep your mind occupied, especially when your kids are busy running around exploring the big bad world. Even if all the plants die, I’m glad they have each other to obsess over…


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home