Wednesday, March 26, 2008

9-4-83

My Mother said to me
"You know next week is what anot?"

I looked up from the newspaper and said
"What?..."

Very randomly, she handed me her wedding ring and said
"You see inside. What's the date?"

I picked up the tiniest gold ring I've ever seen.
She had really tiny fingers then.
It was a very simple golden wedding band with small stripey patterns on it. Very old school indeed.

I peered into the inside of the ring.
I had to squint my eyes to make out the small block letters.

Engraved, it read
'C.H.Tan 9-4-83'

I laughed out loud.
"C.H. Tan??"
(That's my father's email adress)

"So, how many years?" my mother questioned, eyebrows raised.

It dawned upon me. Oh shite, I forgot all their anniversary.
"Errr...wait"
I quickly did some mental calculations.
"Twenty five ah?" I replied gingerly.

Ah! How could I have almost missed that?

"Ya, I knew that what. I belanja you makan lah" I quickly added.

"No need lah. Don't waste money" my mother replied as she traipsed away.

I've gotta be a really stupid child to believe her.
Well, I cannot let her think she gave birth to something stupid.
So- sigh. Duty calls.

Now, here's my big dilemma.
I know twenty five years is a big deal.
And it is incumbent upon me, the eldest of the offspring to make this celebration a memorable one.

I don't suppose supper at Williams is good enough?

I love this picture. These are really my parents! It's not from gettyimages!


~*~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home